BY ROHAN RAI, MARKHAM: Due to popular interest, the first ever Markham Talent Open Casting Call is now accepting auditions from performing artists from all cities in Ontario. The contest is inviting all musicians, singers, dancers, actors, comedians, models and entertainers to realize their potential and submit their art. The deadline for audition submission of 60 second performance tapes is May 1, 2023 at 5 pm.
Competitions will be held in two categories: Age 16 & Under and Age 17 & Over. The semi-finals and finals will be held Live in the City of Markham on May 12-13, 2023.
This event is co-chaired by Markham Ward 6 Councilor Amanda Yeung Collucci, Markham Arts Council Chair Stephen Chait and Markham Arts Council Executive Director Shruti Ganapathy. City of Markham Mayor Frank Scarpitti is the Honorary Chair for this event.
“This event is a great way for talent to connect with industry experts. I fully support opportunities that showcase the wonderful vibrancy of Markham,” says Mayor Scarpitti. “If you have talent, you don’t want to miss this great opportunity. Markham Talent will also be invited for a segment on stage at the City’s Canada Day celebrations this year that usually attracts an audience of 20,000–30,000 people. Make sure to register! Go to www.markhamtalent.ca and BE DISCOVERED! “
“We are not looking for professional productions,” says Councillor Collucci. “We want to hear your voice; we want to see you perform. We encourage you to shoot your 60 second submissions with your phone to present your originality and creativity. The deadline is approaching fast. Submit your application today! Don’t miss out on such a great opportunity to be in front of a renowned judging panel, a chance to be signed by talent agencies and winning $2000 cash.”
The impressive array of judges includes Juno Award Board Member – Aideen O Brien;
Brian Levy, Casting Director; Amy Wright, Producer / Dance Choreographer /Casting Director of The Next Step; Robert Laidlaw, Singer-Songwriter / Juno Awards Nominee; Patricia Jarosz, Talent manager; Cynthia Cully, Model Agent / Manager; Jessica Gregory, Toronto’s Top Runway Coach; Lucas Nguyen, Actor / Singer; Samantha Aucoin, actress; David Chester, owner of Chalet Studio; and Sarah Bay-Cheng, Dean, York University, School of Arts, Media, Production and Design (AMPD)
“You can be of any ethnic origin,” says Stephen Chait, chair of the Markham Arts Council. “We are looking for diversity. We are looking for originality and the submission can be in any language including Chinese, Hindi, French or Punjabi or other. If this is your dream, apply now at www.markhamtalent.ca.”
Focused on her mandate to host this event on an annual basis, Councillor Collucci wants to build this as one of Markham’s signature events to promote the entertainment industry in the city.
Tickets to view the semi-finals and finals are $25 and all proceeds will help Markham Arts Council drive economic growth in arts, culture, and tourism sectors within the City of Markham.
- The Markham Talent Open Casting Call is open to all singers, musicians, dancers, actors, comedians, models and other entertainers and performing artists
- Organizers and judges are looking for diversity and originality. You can be of any ethnic origin. Submissions can be in any language- Chinese, Hindi, French, Punjabi or other.
- Our judging panel is not looking for professional productions. Shoot your video with your cell phone. The judges want to hear your voice, see you perform and see your potential.
- People who are applying in the model category can submit a link to your photo or video.
- If you are a photographer, you can apply and make your submission under Category – Other Performers. You can showcase your photographs, add some music, tell a monologue or a story about these.
- We encourage people with disabilities to apply.
- Deadline for submissions is Monday, May 1, 2023, at 5pm EST.
- Got Questions? Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit www.markhamtalent.ca/Q&A for details.
To register for the Markham Talent 2023 Open Casting Call:
- Complete the online form at markhamtalent.ca, and then submit a link to a YouTube video of your proposed act. Video submissions should be no longer than 60 seconds in length (Full Details and Rules listed on the website)
- A non-refundable competition Registration is $50 per registrant – includes 2 free tickets to both semifinals and finals shows.
- If this is your dream, apply now at www.markhamtalent.ca
About Markham Talent (www.markhamtalent.ca)
- Lead by Councilor Collucci, Markham Talent 2023 Open Casting Call is an event to promote performing arts and entertainment industry in the City of Markham
- Organized by Markham Arts Council and Markham Ward 6 Councilor’s office, this exciting event is co-chaired by Markham Ward 6 Councilor, Amanda Yeung Collucci, Markham Arts Council’s Board Chair, Stephen Chait and Markham Arts Council’s Executive Director, Shruti Ganapathy
- All proceeds from the event will go towards Markham Arts Council’s mission to continue to support and promote local Markham artists on a global scale.